Mountains and lakes make Kyrgyzstan a very attractive tourist destination, the tourism industry has grown manifold in the last few years. The British Backpacker Society ranked Kyrgyzstan as the fifth best adventure travel destination on earth.
Lake Issyk-Kul and the Tian Shan mountains are relatively popular tourist destinations. The other popular destinations include:-
- Ala Archa National Park – It is located 40 kilometers from Bishkek. One of the most famous natural areas in the country.
- Köl-Suu – In the highlands near the border with China there is a lake.
- Lenin Peak – Located on the border with Tajikistan. This seven-thousander is one of the most famous peaks in Kyrgyzstan. Experienced climbers try to conquer it every year.
- Arslanbob – One of the largest walnut forests in the world.
- Ala-Kul – Located in the snowy mountain range of Terskey Ala-Too at an altitude of 3532 meters.
- Tash Rabat – At one time, this historic building served as the main parking lot for merchants and caravans following the Great Silk Road. Nearby there are hiking trails leading to the lake and Chatyr-Kul Nature Reserve.
- Canyon Fairy Tale – This area is on the southern shore of Lake Issyk-Kul. The canyon was formed as a result of thousands of years of ice, water and wind erosion.
- Bokonbaevo – A small village on the coast of Issyk-Kul attracts tourists with preserved traditions.